- Council Meeting - Date ChangeDate: Tuesday, May 7, 2019Time: 4:00PMLocation: Loyalist Country Inn, Summerside
- What You Need to Know about Restorative JusticeDate: Thursday, May 9, 2019Time: 2:00 - 4:30PMLocation: Rodd Charlottetown Hotel, 75 Kent St., CharlottetownWhat You Need to Know about Restorative Justice, CLE
Thursday, May 9, 2019
Presented by the Law Society of PEI Call to Action Committee
2:30 - 4:30PM CLE
The Law Society’s Call to Action Committee is continuing its mandate of ensuring the Law Society of PEI responds to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s Call to Action #27. The Call to Action Committee has engaged former Chief Justice Barry Stuart and Mi’kmaq Elder Noel Milliea to present on the future of dispute resolution titled, “What You Need to Know about Restorative Justice” As part of advancing the journey of reconciliation, the presentations will focus on traditional healing and will include restorative justice, equity and peacemaking. This skill set will be critical for all members who practice in fields involving adversarial processes.
Barry Stuart is a former Chief Justice of the Territorial Court of the Yukon and a faculty member of numerous law schools. He is an internationally respected leader in multi-party dispute resolution processes rooted in Indigenous cultures and traditions helping to bring positive transformation and relationship restoration to parties in conflict.
Elder Noel Milliea is a Mi’kmaq from the Elsipogtog First Nation in NB and has been working with the Parole Board of Canada for the past 18 years in the area of Aboriginal initiatives and Aboriginal offender reintegration. He serves as the National Elder for the Parole Board of Canada and has also presented as a keynote speaker at numerous national and international justice conferences on Indigenous justice. Along with living a spiritual way of life, Noel is a well-respected and knowledgeable Elder, a pipe carrier and a sweat lodge conductor for the people of his community.
Online registration is required for this event. Please complete the form below.
Deadline for registration is Monday, May 6th.
$150 + HST = $172.50
Payment is due at time of registration. eTransfers can be made to email@example.com or paid by cheque/cash to the Law Society of PEI, 49 Water St. Charlottetown, PE, C1A 1A3
This CLE provides 2.0 hours of mandatory CPD credits.Registration Form
- Council MeetingDate: Monday, June 10, 2019Time: 4:00PMLocation: Law Society of PEI Board Room
- Professional Development Day & AGMDate: Friday, June 21, 2019 - Saturday, June 22, 2019Time: TBALocation: Mill River Resort, Woodstock PEIWhen: Friday June 21, 2019
Morning: Professional Development Session
Noon: CBA – PEI Meeting & Luncheon
Afternoon: Golf & Social Activities
Evening: Presidents’ Reception & Dinner
Saturday, June 22, 2019
Morning: Law Society of PEI AGM
Where: Mill River Resort & Campground
The Mill River Resort has offered a standard room rate of $155.00 per night including pre and post event nights. They have a variety of newly renovated rooms plus the camp ground is available for those who like to camp. There are tee times reserved or our group starting at 1:00pm on Friday. Golf is $65 per person including cart. Reservations for rooms and golf can be booked by calling 1-902-859-3555. Additional information on the property can be found at https://millriver.ca/
Registration: A complete registration package will be circulated to the membership in the April.
- Mid-Winter MeetingsDate: Friday, February 7, 2020Time: TBALocation: Rodd Charlottetown HotelDetails to be announced in late 2019 or early 2020.
- Professional Development Day & AGMDate: Friday, June 26, 2020 - Saturday, June 27, 2020Time: TBALocation: Rodd Brudenell River ResortDetails will be provided in the Spring of 2020